Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Leave No Child Inside" Louv

This was a very interesting essay to read. I agree with the writer that there is not space for children to place in the wilderness. I think it is important for every child to get out there and to experience the world and to make it theirs. As i grew up I was always encouraged to go outside and run around so this essay hit close to home. I agree with him that the reason we have child obesity is because all the kids are sitting inside and playing with their electronics. Every child should get out and run around. He describes in the essay how the numbers for kids riding their bikes has gone down a lot. Louv also describes how being in nature and in the outdoors can calm you and bring you together. He tells the story of this boy who is very hyperactive and uncontrollable. When his parents start sending him outside this helps him a a lot and calms him down. He starts off his essay by describing his book that he wrote and the housing company that did not agree with it. I thought it was interesting how this huge development agency was coming up with ideas to involve everyone with nature, to bring it back into the neighbor. 
Through out the essay he goes on to describe how teachers are trying to get outdoor classes and field trips. When the real problem is the money that the schools don't have. I really enjoyed this essay and it really showed to me that nature is a important part of ourselves and that children should be more involved in it. 

2 comments:

AllisonKogge said...

As a child I also was greatly encouraged to go outside and play. I think its good for children to experience life outdoors to some extend because becoming older and growing into an adult, life becomes more difficult and much more work. Being a child and growing up, they don’t have too many responsibilities. Also America does have children who experience childhood obesity and I think that is disgusting. Children have fast metabolisms and it is hard for an active child to gain weight. When reading this I thought about how much food one child would have to consume to become obese. Thinking about that just really grosses me out.

Shanna Grace said...

I too was always told to go outside and not come back until dinner. I think it was the same for our parents, grandparents, and so forth as well. Now a days, as much as we try to encourage children to go outside and enjoy the environment, it is scary to do so. Crime has risen and unless you're out there with them, it's hard to feel safe about it. I believe that there needs to be some radical changes in this country so we can all feel safe. I, myself am paranoid to have kids one day. I just hope they can have a great childhood like I had. I don't want to have to worry about them getting stuck with a needle on the beaches and sex offenders picking them up at the playground. I miss being carefree and not having to worry about these things. Our society, along with our environment has gone downhill.