Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"The Argument Culture" Tannen

This was a very interesting article that displayed the real culture that we live in today. Everything does have 2 sides and there is always going to be someone there to counter fit it or argue about it. I think that she is right when she says that everything has a argument about it, that is so true. It is also very important to fight for what you believe in. If you do not do this then your point of view will be lost and something no one will hear. I don't believe with her idea that the technology is pulling us apart. I think in a weird way has pulled us together. People can talk to other people completely across the world. I think that is more together. Yea kids may not be watching tv with their parents but that can be solved by having family time where everyone watches tv. It is not necessarily pulling us apart, because we are not watching tv together. I also do not agree with what she says about how the argument culture shapes who we are. I don't agree that it limits our thinking , in fact I think i expands our thinking and gives us our own voice. Yea, the government may put things in our minds about what we should believe in but that shouldn't change the way you think because you are your own person. I do believe that is a argument culture to a extent.  

1 comment:

Heather said...

This article did open my eyes to how everything today in our culture has two sides. I really liked your point on how we should fight for what we believe in. This is very true in many cases; however we cant take it to the violent or point of tearing others down to be right. We must argue our point in a constructive manner. Also, I disagree with her point on how it limits our thinking. Arguing can help challenge us to defend our convictions. But at the same time we can not take the arguing to far where we become hard headed. A delicate balance must be found in our argument culture.